This issue has been resolved through a selective bulk update, as part of a larger effort to better manage unresolved issues. To qualify for the update, the issue was either created before Spring 3.0 or affects a version older than Spring 3.0 and is not a bug.
There is a good chance the request was made obsolete, or at least partly outdated, by changes in later versions of Spring including deprecations. It is also possible it didn't get enough traction or we didn't have enough time to address it. One way or another, we didn't get to it.
If you believe the issue, or some aspects of it, are still relevant and worth pursuing at present you may re-open this issue or create a new one with a more up-to-date description.
We thank you for your contributions and encourage you to become familiar with the current process of managing Spring Framework JIRA issues that has been in use for over a year.