[SWS-469] Content type not set accouring to Http specification, RFC 2616 Created: 23/Dec/08  Updated: 04/May/12  Resolved: 25/Jan/09

Status: Closed
Project: Spring Web Services
Component/s: Core
Affects Version/s: 1.5.5
Fix Version/s: 1.5.6

Type: Bug Priority: Blocker
Reporter: Pieter van der Meer Assignee: Arjen Poutsma
Resolution: Fixed Votes: 0
Labels: None
Remaining Estimate: Not Specified
Time Spent: Not Specified
Original Estimate: Not Specified

Sender IBM WebSphere 6.1 reciever Oracle

Attachments: Text File SWS-469.patch    


the AxiomSoapMessage and the SaajSoapMessage set the content-type character-set incorrectly.
The character set is surrounded by double quotes i.e "ISO-8859-1". the specification however states, $14.17 and $3.7 clearly state that this is not allowed. Although most servers do not complain about it, the one i use does

Since the implementation is not confirming to specifications, i would say it's a bug.


Comment by Tareq Abedrabbo [ 17/Jan/09 ]

Hi Pieter,

Thanks for detecting this issue. I fixed it for AxiomSoapMessages as Spring-WS is responsible for generating the Content-type header in this case.
For SaajSoapMessages it's a different matter; Spring-WS delegates header generation to the underlying implementation. I tested with sun's 1.3 implementation and Axis 1.4 and was not able to reproduce the problem. Both implementations seem to generate the Content-type header correctly.
Could you please share more details on how you encountered the problem with SaajSoapMessage?

Comment by Pieter van der Meer [ 22/Jan/09 ]


I'll grab the latest snapshot beginning next week and validate to see if the issue is solved. I didnot notice that the SaajSoapMessage creation was delegated, i just scanned the code quickly

Keep you posted.


Comment by Tareq Abedrabbo [ 22/Jan/09 ]

Hi Peiter,

You won't find the fix in the latest snapshot because I haven't submitted it yet! I was hoping for a confirmation as I was not able to reproduce the issue for SaajSoapMessage, using Sun's RI 1.3 and Axis 1.4.
Can you share more details on the Saaj implementation you're using to send your messages?


Comment by Pieter van der Meer [ 22/Jan/09 ]


Oops, Did get that one, To be honest I did not test if the Saaj message introduces the problem. I browsed through the code and saw that for the Axiom message the " are added. I assumed that the Saaj implemenation did the same. But if you cant reproduce I would say that the problem aint there. It will take quite some effort for me to modify the application to see if i can reproduce it with the Saaj implementation since that one causes some issues with WAS 6.1. And i'm running into a deadline to deliver the application.



Comment by Arjen Poutsma [ 25/Jan/09 ]

Pieter, thanks for spotting this!
Tareq, thanks for the patch!

Comment by Arjen Poutsma [ 04/May/12 ]

Closing old issues

Generated at Sun May 26 13:05:38 UTC 2019 using JIRA 7.9.2#79002-sha1:3bb15b68ecd99a30eb364c4c1a393359bcad6278.